Easy 6 Step Pledge Glitter Ornaments

We posted this tutorial last year and it was so widely popular that we just had to bring it back this holiday season!  Read on to see how to make your own sparkly ornaments in 6 easy steps, see how my ornaments from last year held up after a year in storage and read some ideas on how to take your ornaments to the next level!

1. Gather your supplies.  You will need:
 •Pledge Floor Care Wood Floor Finish (it may be BLUE or YELLOW, just make sure it’s wood floor FINISH and not cleaner)
•Clear ornaments (glass or plastic work- you can even use different shaped ornaments)
•Glitter (fine works best)
•Funnel (a piece of paper rolled into a cone shape works well)

2. Remove the ornament cap and squirt about a tablespoon of the Pledge into the ornament.   Swirl the Pledge around and make sure you get a good even coat over the entire inside of the ornament.  Pour any excess Pledge back into the bottle (or discard).

3. Insert your funnel into the top of your ornament and pour in glitter of your choice.  I have found that fine glitter works best.  You will need a few tablespoons and you can always add more if necessary.

4.  Coat the inside of your ornament with the glitter.  I found turning the ornament around helped to assure coverage, but you can shake the ornament too, just make sure to cover the top of the ornament with a towel and your thumb so you don’t cause a glitter explosion!

5.  Pour the excess glitter back into the container. Tap the sides of the ornament a little to get any loose glitter out.  You don’t want to leave a clump of unstuck glitter in the bottom of your ornament.

6.  Pop the top back on your ornament!  That’s all it takes!

I created sets of these last year as gifts for friends and family and everyone loved them!  I saved some for myself (of course) and they were so sparkly in our Christmas tree.  They really were so easy and FUN to make that I must resist the urge to make more this year!  I pulled my box of ornaments out yesterday, to see how these beauties survived being stored over the summer, and they are still just as glittery as they were last year!  The Pledge dries on the inside and your glitter is stuck tight- no worries that it will not last, these will stay glittery year after year.  😀

Want to take your ornaments to the next level (as if they weren’t beautiful enough on their own!)?  How about a fancy ornament hanger using the Wire Wind it tool?  The big swirl pattern is PERFECT for ornaments.  There are so many uses for the Wire Wind It Tool (did you see our blog posts on how to use this tool to make pipe cleaner spiders, and personalized wire hangers?).

You can also monogram or personalize your ornament with some premium Silhouette Vinyl.  Nothing makes a gift more special than having it personalized and it’s so easy to do!  Just cut any letter out and stick it right to the outside of your ornament.  With the glitter on the inside, you don’t have to worry about the vinyl sticking properly!

You can also use paint to make a cute snowman, like I did with one of my ornaments from last year.  With just a few dots of paint – the possibilities are endless!

I hope you will give this project a try if you did not try it out last year when we first brought it to you!  It really is fun, easy and FAST.  I created two dozen ornaments in under and hour and they look so high end, people will never know how simple (and really inexpensive) they are to make!

Happy Crafting!

Kala

Read the whole post over at http://blog.craft-e-corner.com/

34 Replies to “Easy 6 Step Pledge Glitter Ornaments”

1. Hey Wendy!
      I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you mean? Can you clarify?

Thanks
      Kala

Kala says:
  1. I just started painting ornaments and loved your idea on using the pledge floor wax..less messier then acrylic paint inside the plastic ornament..thanks for sharing. .I m on FB and have a craft page under my name..

Women PL says:
  2. I tried this last year and gave them out as gifts for xmas. Well to my embarrassment only to find out this year all the glitter fell off inside each bulb. So I will go back to the old way which is using Glitter-it. Good luck to you all.

Kim says:
    1. Did you maybe use floor care? Which is like soap? The ornaments I made for this post are now 4 years old, I had them on my tree again this year and still just as sparkly as the day I made them! I have heard others use polyacrylic as well.

Kala says:
    1. The blue color in the ornament is from the glitter I used. On the cute snowman at the bottom of the post, I used puffy paint to add the snowman face.

Kala says:
  3. I use the small bottles of Gloss interior varnish that they sell in the craft section of Walmart. I have used that for years to do this. (This is the first time I have heard of the floor wax!) You can get the small bottles for about $1.00

Julie says:
    1. Haven’t heard of the Gloss Varnish before- may be a good alternative for those who are struggling to find the Pledge.

Kala says:
  4. I love this idea! I think I just found my gift for EVERYONE this year! And I can customize it with my Cricut by adding a monogram to it or something else! Thank you

Keya says:
  5. The first time I saw this idea (Pre-Pinterest) it said to use Future floor finish. I don’t even know if they still make that brand, but I found another brand of ‘floor finish’ at Target and it worked fine. I later found the Pledge at Walmart.

Kelly says:
    1. I think any brand of floor finish will work- Pledge is just what we had locally. I have heard other people state that Pledge changed their formula over the last few years and it does not work as well. Alternatively I would recommend using Polyacrylic instead (which is usually found by the stains in the hardware store). I would still try the floor finish- but make sure that you stay away from the floor CARE as that does not work.

Kala says:
      1. Quick question: what about the Floor CARE that is a FINISH? I’m not finding any other FINISH besides a generic brand. The one I see is clear with blue squirt top

Keya says:
        1. You need floor FINISH. Floor CARE is like soap and will not work. You need the FINISH. If you can only find generic brand, you can try that. You can also go to polyacrylic instead as well.

Kala says:
  6. I USED MOP AND GLOW AND GLITTER IS FALLING OFF AFTER ONLY A FEW DAYS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

MELISSA says:
    1. Are you putting the Mop & Glow inside, draining out the excess and then dumping glitter inside, swirling around and then dumping out excess glitter?

Kala says:
  7. these look so beautiful and easy!!! Than You for showing me how to make these!!

Barb Courtney says:
    1. You’re welcome Barb! I hope you try them, they’re so easy to make and look beautiful!

Kala says: