How to Color Etched Glass using Rub ‘n Buff Patina

Yesterday I showed you how to make your own DIY Fizzy Bath Bombs.  Today I want to show you how to make a cute jar for them to go in!

Craft-e-Corner Blog: Celebrate Your Creativity.  You can use Rub 'n Buff to color etched glass!

The bath bombs I showed you how to make in yesterdays blog post are a perfect gift for Mother’s Day!  I wanted to make them look cute in the bathroom too, so I decided to make a jar for them to go in.

After a lot of indecision, I chose to keep it simple and etch “{relax}” on the jar.  I designed the file in my Silhouette Studio Software.  I measured my jar and drew a square to fit the front of the jar, then centered the saying in the middle. For anyone interested, the font I chose was Helvetica.  I can’t say I use Helvetica that often, but I do love a good font!  I have my “go to” list of fonts:

but Helvetica seemed to fit well for this project.  I know that was an off tangent about fonts, but I think a font can really make or break a project, don’t you?

So back to how to make our jar…

Craft-e-Corner Blog: Celebrate your Creativity!  Use Rub 'n Buff to color in etched glass- great crafting tip!

1. I cut my design out of vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo and then applied the “negative” to the jar.  You want to remove the parts you want etched, in this case, I wanted just the words etched.

Tip: Once I applied the vinyl, I heated it up the entire design with my embossing heat gun.  I always do this step when using vinyl for painting or etching, it helps to adhere the vinyl and seal up the edges to prevent the paint or etching cream from leaking under the stencil.

2. Next I used some Silhouette Etching Cream to etch my words into my jar.  I painted on an even layer of etching cream using an old trusty paint brush.

Tip: Shake your etching cream a lot to ensure it’s mixed well before you use it!

3. After letting the etching cream sit for just one minute (it works fast!), I washed the etching cream off in the sink with a little running water.  You can now peel off the vinyl.

4. Dry your jar well.  You can see the etching without color, but it’s a more subtle look.  At this point I saw that my etching cream didn’t etch evenly in all areas.  I didn’t clean my jar was before etching, which likely caused it to not etch evenly.

Tip: Use rubbing alcohol to clean you surface and remove any finger prints before etching!

5.   Put a very small blob of Rub ‘n Buff on your finger.  Rub ‘n Buff comes in a lot of different colors– I love this stuff!  I used Patina Rub ‘n Buff  and can’t wait to use other colors for different projects.  A little bit goes a long way.  You can use a soft cloth to apply it, but your finger works just as well too.

6. Rub the Rub ‘n Buff into the etching in a circular motion.  Work quickly, and in sections if you have a large project.

7.  Use a soft cloth to wipe away the excess Rub ‘n Buff.  It will come off the glass surface, but stay in the etched areas!  Don’t let it sit for too long or it won’t want to come off.

8.  Fill the jar with bath bombs and give as a gift or display in your bathroom!

In the end, my jar came out a little more shabby chic than I had originally planned, but I love the way it turned out!  I’ve made glass etched jars in the past- remember this jar I etched for Breast Cancer Awareness?  I bet the Ruby Rub ‘n Buff would look great on this jar too!

Rub ‘n Buff can be used on all sorts of surfaces, from wood to metal and more.  It’s a wax finish that you can use for antiquing, crafting, decorating…  You just rub it on, then buff it with a soft cloth to make it shine!  This stuff is awesome for updating door knobs, picture frames, lamps, tables, candle sticks- too many places to list!  I just discovered this stuff and love it already!  Check out all the Rub ‘n Buff colors here.

What will you etch on your jar?

Humor me and share if you have a favorite font choice!

12 Replies to “How to Color Etched Glass using Rub ‘n Buff Patina”

1. Gilders paste work really well and comes in a bunch of colors. Check out www.gilderspaste.com or search the web for gilders paste applications

Dave says:
  2. Hey! love the idea of using Rub ‘n Buff! 100% going to try this but is it dish washer friendly? i know obvioulsy the Etching is but will the colour come off when you wash the glass?

Thank you!!

Amelia says:
    1. I would say that Rub N Buff is not dishwasher safe. I don’t think it’s considered food safe either, so I would be hesitant to put it on anything like a drinking glass, you don’t want to really touch the surface much. I would use this technique on decorative surfaces only.

Kala says:
  3. I tried this and when I buffed the rub n buff on my plate the rub n buff was not just on the etched area but areas around it…. I did work quickly too. is there a certain type of cloth I need to use to “buff” with? Any suggestions on what went wrong? it looks like a mess….

debra swatik says:
    1. I’m sorry to hear that this is giving you troubles Debra! I just used my finger to lightly smudge it into the etched area and then used a paper towel to rub off the excess. I did it on this jar and have done it one several tiles before as well. You may have luck getting the excess off using something with more grit like a kitchen sponge or try nail polish remover? Let me know how it turns out!

-Kala

Kala says:
      1. Would it be possible to leave the stencil on after your rinse off the etching cream, and once it dries, apply the rub n buff onto the etched area, then peel off the stencil? Which would hopefully eliminate the rub n buff color from extending past the etched area.

Janice says:
        1. When you get the vinyl wet, it tends to peel off. I also remove it to make sure the etching cream clears off and doesn’t continue to etch around the edges. The rub n buff really only stays in the etched area, but you could try leaving it on and see how it works!

Kala says:
  4. I did exactly how you show and tell us how to use the rub n buff but mine looks horrible. It stayed on my etched shell but I couldnt get it off the glass around it. it looks like a mess…. Any tips or what did I do wrong?

debra swatik says:
  5. i had a laser guy his has been on a clever for years had washing and another guy says its dishwasher safe?

caleb says:
  6. I love etching glasses. Will try rub ‘n’ buff. But if you let your etching cream on for more than one minute, the etched part will be more even. I use the armour etch and let it on for about ten minutes (it says 5). So the Areas are perfectly etched! And will the rub ‘n’ buff be dishwasher save? Never tried it before, because it is difficult and expensive to get it here.
    TIA!

Caro says:
    1. I have used Armour Etch in the past with great results. The Silhouette brand etching cream states not to leave the etching cream on for very long, so I was trying to follow the instructions. I really liked the “rugged” look of this piece, but would also have liked it to be a perfect etch- that’s okay though, not everything turns out just as we planned it, and sometimes it turns out for the better!

The Rub N Buff isn’t dishwasher safe. I tried washing a glass that I used this technique on and the Rub N Buff does come off. I hand washed the glass and got soap right on the Rub N Buff to test it out and it started to wipe off. I do not imagine a dishwasher would be gentler on a piece. I would recommend this technique for display purposes only that you don’t intend to wash- or if you do wash, that you do so carefully and only use a damp cloth around the etched area to avoid any Rub N Buff from coming off.

Kala Peterson says: